US Program & J1 Visa Eligibility
To qualify for US program consideration, you must be:
- Very interested in ecological agriculture or sustainable food systems;
- Age 21 or older;
- In excellent health;
- Eager for daily, rigorous, hands-on agricultural training;
- Interviewed with MESA staff via Skype, or nominated by a MESA representative in your home country;
- Free of financial obligations to send money home. Candidates whose dependents will experience economic hardship in their absence are not eligible;
- Able to pay these pre-program expenses: round-trip flight, visa fees (forms I-901 and DS-160), US program fee (CAAP or NLP) and, if applicable: home country representative fee.
To qualify for the J1 agricultural trainee visa, you need:
- Five years of work experience in agriculture -or- an academic degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary institution with at least one year of agricultural experience;
- Basic English to communicate on a day-to-day basis with the US Host;
- Proof of economic and social ties to your home country;
- Firm commitment to return home upon program completion.
For the US State Department’s detailed J1 visa eligibility criteria, please visit this page.
To apply for the J1 visa, you must assemble various documents, and schedule your in-person interview at the nearest US Consulate or Embassy in your home country.
(Required documents in Bold font; additional/suggested documents in normal font)
Supplied by MESA
Supplied by You