–Return to Listings | |
Empower School & Farm
MESA Notes – Public
This is a nonprofit, educational farm and school offering hands-on farm experience, community education and many social activities. Training activities average 35 hours per week. The stipend is $200/month, plus free food, housing, medical insurance and local transportation.
Blog, Online Newsletter, etc. :
Public Contact Information:
About the Placement:
Detailed Placement Description
Live & Work On An Organic Farm | With A Christian Perspective
Hands on Learning: Micro-intensive farming, small animal husbandry, bee-keeping, local & online marketing.
The Empower School and Farm is a not for profit national and international organization working to alleviate world hunger.
Hands on learning opportunities in sustainable food production, financial & inventory management & online marketing. Experiences may include: planting, harvesting, building soil (composting), pest & disease management strategies, marketing farm products, exposure to various growing strategies, small farm animal husbandry and other farm projects such as beekeeping with Empower Apiary, barn, cabin and greenhouse construction.
Educational Opportunities: Stewards will be in an active learning environment with opportunity to participate in classes of the Empower School offering certificate level courses in sustainable agriculture, online marketing, micro-business, local community development, foreign language studies, nutrition & world missions.
Located in Central Florida close to Disney World, Florida World Famous Beaches and the Ocala National Forest offering diverse recreational opportunities from canoeing in wilderness waterways to swimming in crystal clear constant 72° springs. Visitors can enjoy year-round camping, picnicking, fishing, birding, hiking, bicycling, horseback riding and four-wheeling.
Primary Production :
Bees/Honey, Berries, Herbs, Poultry, Tree fruits, Vegetables
About the Internship:
35 hours per week
Training Expectations :
• Participate in all required training classes, completing all reading and study assignments.
• Meet regularly with an assigned mentor who will be providing training
On-Site Training, Steward’s primary activities :
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Assist with the day-to-day operations and farm activities including planning, planting, maintenance, harvesting, etc.
• Follow all farm and property policies regarding local regulations and health and safety standards.
• Help ensure the Empower property including the farm, gardens, and grounds are maintained at safe and aesthetically pleasing levels.
• Assist with maintenance/repair of farm and facility property, equipment, machinery, and animals as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned
• Interns are expected to work 20 hours per week and Empower School and Farm provides all housing and meals without charge.
• Due to the nature of farm work, some of these hours may occur outside traditional working hours (i.e. early morning or Saturdays, etc.).
Climate and Location Description
Located in Central Florida with a moderate climate. A semi-urban area approximately 45 minutes drive to Orlando a major city.
$200/month, Home with bedroom, bath, living and kitchen facilities., Free, daily food
Accommodations and amenities provided :
Stewards will be provided a bedroom in a home with bathroom, living, dining and kitchen areas. Internet service and local transportation is provided.
Preferred start date :
Nov. & Mar
Preferred length of internship :